Sports betting in Nigeria is growing in popularity. However, there is still some confusion about various aspects of gambling on sports. There are many betting markets, and you should understand them all before you start placing bets. So, we will explain them in this guide. Since individual bookmakers have major differences, we will guide you on how to analyze them. And thus determine which one will suit you best.
Best Online Bookmakers in Nigeria
|1||100% Bonus Up To ₦100,000T & C Apply||Review||Visit|
|2||100% Bonus up to ₦100,000T & C Apply||Review||Visit|
Terms & Conditions: Place bets equal to 10x your deposit amount on odds of 3 or higher.
|3||200% Bonus up to ₦100,000T & C Apply||Review||Visit|
|4||100% Bonus up to ₦25,000T & C Apply||Review||Visit|
|5||Bet $10 Get $30 In Free BetsT & C Apply||Review||Visit|
|6||100% Bonus up to ₦100,000T & C Apply||Review||Visit|
|7||100% Bonus up to ₦50,000T & C Apply||Review||Visit|
|8||Up To $30 In Bet CreditsT & C Apply||Review||Visit|
|9||Up To ₦5000 Bonus on Your First BetT & C Apply||Review||Visit|
|10||₦500 Free BetT & C Apply||Review||Visit|
Sports Betting Online in Nigeria
Sports betting is legal in Nigeria, along with a few online casino games. However, you have to place your bets in a land-based casino and not an online-based facility.
A few legislations in the country can be interpreted as referring to online betting. But none of them specifically touch on online gambling. Although online sports betting is not authorized in Nigeria. The government does not convict residents for accessing and using online sports betting sites. However, they do target the providers of the services.
Criminal Act Code - Nigerian Gambling Laws
The Criminal Act Code is the main reference when it comes to gambling in Nigeria. The act clearly shows which forms of gambling are legal and which are illegal. A gambling house becomes illegal if it offers any of the banned forms of gambling. Anyone found occupying the premises of an illegal gambling house has to pay a fine of 1000 Naira or spend two years in prison.
Legal gambling in the country includes betting pools, lotteries, some table games. Such as blackjack, casino hold ’em, and American roulette. There are strict controls on Slot machines in the country. And currently, they are available at the three land-based casinos in the country.
Nigeria Sports Betting Sites – The Best Bookmakers for Nigerian Players
People in Nigeria love sports, and they also like to bet on these events. In the past, there were few platforms where they could place bets on sporting events. However, now with sports betting sites, residents of the country can enjoy their favorite pastime even more.
This is one of the most famous sports betting sites in Nigeria. Despite its development being in Nigeria it has a European feel and style. Besides offering a wide range of betting markets, there are also useful stats and information on the various teams and games. There are more than 25 sports covered by this bookmaker, including boxing, tennis, Bandy, and football. When you sign up on the site, you will receive a 100% deposit bonus of up to 100,000 Naira. Also, there is a loyalty scheme for customers.
The available odds tend to be higher than the average, particularly in football markets. And there is a live streaming service available to customers of the site. Residents of Nigeria will also appreciate that it has a retail betting service.
Nairabet is another excellent sportsbook in Nigeria. Established in 2009 and was the first Nigerian sportsbook. Besides the online offers, the sportsbook has retailers all around the country. All having the relevant government body authorization. Nairabet primarily caters to football enthusiasts with excellent promotions and markets. Usually, customers can bet on the winners, the first scorer, the total goals, and even the total number of corners in the games. However, the coverage is not as good for other sports. At Nairabet, you can also enjoy live betting and can stream the games live.
Betway is a major UK brand, but its sportsbook has grown in popularity in Nigeria. One advantage of this sports betting site is that it has a dedicated app for Android and iPhone devices. Many other sports betting sites are not responsive on mobile phones and usually have to be accessed on desktop devices. Since it is a major brand, you will not have to worry much about any payment issues or fraudulent activities. The site has been running for many years without any notable issues of fraud. In any case, it has a UK Licence and has the eCOGRA Safe and Fair Seal. Their customer support team is available 24/7.
Sports With The Most Betting Action In Nigeria
In Nigeria, you can bet on almost all sports in the world. However, there are a few sports that are highly popular in the country, and others have a very small fan base. Games with the most betting action in Nigeria include football, tennis, and basketball.
Betting on Football
Betting on football is very popular in Nigeria. Not only for local games but international leagues and competitions, as well.
Types of Bets
Here are some of the available football betting options in Nigeria:
- Full-time bet - This is the most common type of football bet in the country. You will simply be betting on the team that you believe will win the match. Also, you can bet on whether the game will end in a draw. Note that in most bets types, the results are at the 90-minute mark (full-time), with the exclusion of any extra time.
- Accumulator bet - In this type, you will compile multiple bets. If a single bet loses in the combination, you lose the entire bet.
- Over Under betting - These are bets on the number of goals scored in the game. In this bet type, you will usually have to place a wager on whether the game will end in a total of more or less than 2.5 goals.
The biggest local football market is the Nigerian Professional Football League. It has been running for close to 50 years and has been rebranded multiple. Some of the biggest teams in the league include Plateau United and Kano Pillars.
- FA Cup - This is the oldest national football competition in the world, having been first held in the 1870s. It is quite popular in Nigeria. Some of the most successful teams in the competition are Arsenal, Manchester City, and Manchester United.
- La Liga - This is the top Spanish League with 20 teams playing to win the title. More than 60 teams in total have participated in the league since its inception.
- Bundesliga - The Bundesliga has the highest attendance rates of all football leagues in the world. It is also quite popular in Nigeria.
Basketball now has worldwide appeal with a keen following in Nigeria.
Types of Bets
- Points spread - This is the most popular bet in basketball. It simply indicates the number of points the favorite has to win to cover the spread. If the favorite wins by fewer points, the bet will be lost. If you bet on the underdog, it has to win outright or lose by the point spread.
- Over Under betting - Just like in football, the sportsbook will set a total number of points, and you can bet on whether or not the teams will score more or fewer than the given points.
- Parlays - In this bet, you can select more than one side or leg and add them to a single bet. Although potential winnings may increase with this option, the risk also rises.
- Kwese Premier League - This is the top basketball league for men in Nigeria. Some notable teams in the league include Bauchi Nets, Gombe Bulls, Mark Mentors, and Royal Hoopers.
- Zenith Women’s League - This is the top basketball league for women in Nigeria. It is not as popular as the men’s league, but you can still place bets on it.
- FIBA African Championships - Nigeria participates in the FIBA African Championships, a regional men’s basketball competition. You can place bets on this competition at various bookies.
International Coverage and Markets
- NBA - The National Basketball Association is among the top basketball leagues in the world. It is a major sports league in the USA and Canada.
- Euro League - This is the top tier of European Professional Basketball. And has operated since 2000.
Tennis is forth when it comes to sports that attract the most number of bets and in turn funds. Which is something that has not gone unnoticed by sports betting Nigerians.
Types of Tennis Bets
- Outright betting - In this type of bet, you will select the overall winner of the tournament. The odds are quite high in the outright betting, especially at the start of the tournaments.
- Match bet - Here, you will place a bet on the winner of a single match. You can bet on either player to win.
- Handicap bets - This is like the spread bet in basketball. You will have to bet that the favorite will win a certain number of matches more than the underdog. For example, if the favorite has a handicap of -2.5, it has to win 2.5 more matches than the underdog.
Local Tennis Coverage
The most notable local tennis tournament in Nigeria is the Lagos Open. This tournament has been running since the 1970s and attracts many international players. Many Nigerian sports betting sites will let you place bets on these matches.
- Wimbledon - Is the most prestigious of the four Tennis Grand Slam events. It is the oldest tennis tournament in the world and has been running since 1877.
- The US Open - This is the last Grand Slam event of the season, held in New York, and has become a firm favorite of the fans. Nigerian sports betting sites will usually offer odds on these matches. The tournament happens towards the end of August or at the start of September.
- Australian Open - This is the largest annual sporting event in the Southern hemisphere, and it has been running since 1905. As the first Grand Slam event of the season, it usually attracts a lot of excitement from fans around the world.
Sports Betting Bonuses and Promotions Available To Punters In Nigeria
There are many bonuses and promotions available at online bookmakers. Here we will explain the most popular that are also available in Nigeria.
Sign Up Bonus
A sign-up or welcome bonus is usually offered as a percentage on your first deposit at sports betting sites. Some sports betting sites will even offer a bonus on a new customer’s first three deposits. Welcome bonuses usually have wagering requirements that you need to meet before the withdrawal of any winnings. Some online betting sites even offer a no deposit bonus, but these are quite rare.
Free bets may not seem to be as generous as the match bonuses, but they offer a better chance of winning. You will usually need to place the free bet once, after which you can withdraw your winnings and the bonus. Generally, the terms and conditions of these promotions are favorable.
Enhanced Odds/ Price Boost
Some bookies will offer enhanced odds to entice new customers to sign up with them. As the name suggests, these are promotions where the odds are higher to boost your potential returns. The odds enhancing of odds will be a lot higher for the welcome offers. And, existing customers will typically have to deal with more conservative enhanced odds.
This sports betting promotion is for gamblers who like to make accumulator bets. With this promotion, the sportsbook will give a bonus for several matches betted on. For example, with five matches, you may get a 5% bonus and may increase as you add more matches to the bet. ACCA boosts come with strict terms and conditions. And you should go through them to ensure that you receive the full bonus
A cashback is an amount given back to the punter after they make losses at a sports betting site. Bookmakers use these bonuses to encourage people to spend more money betting. Cashbacks are typically given as a percentage of the net losses from bets. They also have maximum limits.
Live Streaming and In-Play Betting
Many Nigerian sports betting sites give their players free access to live streaming services. You will usually need to be a registered member of the bookmaker to watch the matches live. It is worth noting that many of the services don’t give you access to all the sporting events.
With live streaming services and enhanced technology, bookmakers naturally had to invent in-play betting. This type of bet is also referred to as the live bet. It simply allows you to place a bet on sporting events after they have kicked off.
With in-play betting, the odds will continually change to reflect the new information about the teams and players. In-play betting will also be useful to people who frequently engage in arbitrage betting.
Payment Methods Accepted by Bookies
Here are the most popular payment methods accepted by old and new sports betting sites:
- PayPal - This is one of the most widely-used electronic wallets in Nigeria and the world. This payment method is especially important for betting sites that do not operate with the Naira. You can easily convert your Nairas to Euros, American dollars, and Pounds Sterling.
- Quickteller - This payment method is also widely used in Nigeria. Quickteller is quite easy to use, even for people who have not had much experience with digital wallets.
- Bank transfer - Some sports betting sites will also allow you to make payments through bank transfers. This method is especially useful for large payments, and it is commonly used for withdrawals.
Place Bets On The Go - Mobile Sites and Apps
Placing bets on your desktop may not be convenient for many bettors. That is why sportsbooks in Nigeria have enhanced the quality and responsiveness of their mobile sites and apps. Today, a good percentage of residents in Nigeria own smartphones, and they will have them even when going to the beach. With smartphone apps and mobile sites, you will be able to access your betting account from any location and at any time.
Mobile apps usually offer the same level of security as mobile sites, meaning your personal information will not be lost. You must always verify that it is an official application by the sports betting site before logging in. With the mobile sites and applications, you can run all processes, including adding money to your account and requesting withdrawals.
Bookmaker Reviews - What We Check
In the following section, we explain what we check and why when reviewing online bookmakers.
A Safe and Secure Place To Bet
The first thing we check is whether or not the sportsbook is licensed. The betting sites should have licenses from a respected jurisdiction like Malta and the United Kingdom. Some are associated with traditional bookmaker shops and can operate with licenses from the Nigerian government.
The reputation of the Sportsbook
There are many review sites where players can post their feedback on various sportsbooks. We scout these websites to determine how most customers feel about the site. Since some of the reviews may not be genuine, we always investigate them and come up with an unbiased opinion on the bookmakers.
Quality of Promotions and Bonuses
Sports betting sites offer different types of promotions and bonuses to attract and retain customers. These promotions could be in the form of match bonuses, cash backs, free bets, and even enhanced bets. When reviewing sportsbook sites, we check how good the promotions are, as well as their terms and conditions.
Betting Markets - Local & International
We also pay close attention to the markets offered by the online bookies. Most of them allow you to bet on international sporting events, but as a resident of Nigeria, you may be interested in betting on local tournaments. We mention these details in our reviews.
Available Betting Options
Online bookmakers offer different betting options. The best ones will give you more betting options, and we usually rank them higher. Sites with more betting options will always offer more fulfilling gambling experiences.
Betting on the Move - Mobile Site and Apps
Almost all sportsbooks today have mobile sites. However, these sites are not always responsive and some are not even optimized for small screens. We try out the sites to determine how good they are for sports betting. Sites with mobile apps are preferred, but we also have to check how responsive the applications are.
Trusted Payment Methods - Fast and Secure
There are many payment methods accessible to people in Nigeria. These include PayPal and Quickteller. The available banking options will determine how convenient the site is. And that is why we list down the options accepted at the various sites. Also, we check whether or not there are fees associated with deposits and withdrawals.
Customer Support - Handling of Complaints
It is important to check the quality of the customer service team. Although many sports betting sites are easy to navigate, you may still encounter issues with withdrawals, accessing your account, using bonuses, and other processes. The customer service reps will help you solve these problems. Ideally, they should be available 24/7 and should be accessible through multiple channels.
Try Our Informative Guides - Sports Betting Options and More
Before placing a wager, you should look through our betting guides. We cover different betting strategies and have some of the best basketball, tennis, rugby, and football betting tips. All other popular sports in Nigeria are covered by our guides. In addition, we have complicated betting types like Asian handicap explained in greater detail.